[Evergreen Muizenberg] What’s happening this week & next: 13 to 24 December

Evergreen Muizenberg evergreenmuizenberg at lists.zsd.co.za
Fri Dec 13 15:45:19 SAST 2019

        Dear Resident,

What’s happening this week & next: 13 to 24 December 2019

A little while ago we spoke about how time seems to fly as we age and the importance of trying new things to slow time down. I hope that some of you have tried this advice with positive results.

We seem to be swamped with bad news in South Africa at the moment, especially with the latest round of ‘load-shedding’ it is enough to depress anyone. Sadly bad news becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I propose that for the rest of December 2019 we avoid bad news (and the darkness if we are able to). Avoid it in the press and on television, don’t pass it along in your conversation and look for the good news in our society. There is lots of good news amidst the doom and gloom, you just need to look in the right places. Seek out people making a positive difference and support them, even if only with words of encouragement, help someone less fortunate than yourself and tell your friends and family just how much they mean to you. Have a grateful heart as you consider how blessed you have been over the past year. Let’s give ourselves a break by binning the bad news at least for the festive season. We can then face up to the challenges of the New Year with a fresh perspective and a well-rested body, mind and soul.

There will be lots to do during the festive season and I am encouraging you to enjoy these activities to the fullest.

Would like to thank our caterers, Western Province Caterers, for the fabulous Christmas Dinner / Year End Dinner, held on Wednesday evening, judging by the feedback a good time was had by all. The live entertainment and DJ added a great touch. By all accounts most folks thought the DJ the best of the two, so thank you Shawn for some great ‘entertainment’. I think in future with occasions like these we will dispense with the live entertainment and just have a DJ. Let me know what you think.

I received some feedback from Chris Bennett, who co-ordinated the ‘Poppy Day’ donation tin, that we managed to collect R433.00. So again, thank you to all those who ‘bought’ a poppy. Another big thank you to those so generously donated foods stuffs for those children that rely on the school, Capricorn Primary School, for their daily meals. We managed to fill six big and two small boxes full of groceries.

During this load shedding, a number of you are concerned about power surges when the electricity is restored. Something as simple as switching the mains off and all the plugs on the distribution board or pre-paid meter at least 5 minutes before the power is scheduled to go off could prevents appliances from perhaps breaking as a result of the sudden surge of electricity when it is restored. If you use a multi-plug, get one with surge protectors as an added prevention tool. After the power has been restored, first switch on the mains and then the plugs in the house. It may seem a tedious operation, but prevention beats a cure I say.”
Also make sure to charge your mobile phone, laptop, tablet and radio when power is available. Depending on the load-shedding stage, some cell phone networks may be affected.

We do inform you timeously so that you are able to put these measures into place if you are concerned. Find attached Stage 1 and 2 load-shedding schedules. We are in AREA 8.

Please also find attached minutes from the last residents committee meeting, held on Tuesday, 10 December. A big thank you to Jim Raubenheimer for getting the minutes out so speedily.

We would like to wish the following residents a very Happy Birthday:

A special birthday wish to both Michael Dean, House 57, and James Davidson, Apartment 309, who are turning 85 and 80 years old respectively.

December

14

Ruth Reichlin

H61

14

Michael Dean

H57

15

Marion Samuels

A117

17

Hazel Sahler

A304

18

Gail York

A128

20

Caroline Bekker

A337

20

Alexander Rowe

Care Centre

21

James Davidson

A309

22

Fred de Vries

H65

22

Penny Sheppey

A223

22

Callie van Rooyen

A229

22

Roy Patterson

A239

BISTRO:

Bookings can be made with at the Bistro on Ext 2253.
Payment can be made on account, cash or credit card. You are also very welcome to bring your own alcoholic refreshments.
A reminder about our Bistro hours, open 7 days a week from 8am to 5pm.
Last orders during the week are at 4.45 pm and weekends at 4.30

Coming up this week and next :-

  *   On Sunday we again have ‘Munch Time’ selling their range of goodies, from nuts, dried fruit and mebos. Their stall will be up in the lifestyle centre from 10h00 to 12h00.
  *   On Wednesday 18th join the Evergreen Striders for their monthly walk. This time it’s starting at Surfer’s Corner at 9 am, you walk as a group on the boardwalk to Kalk Bay, treat yourself to a refreshment and something surgery for energy and then walk back. Sounds like a great outing and I don’t need to remind of the amazing benefits of walking and being outside. Transport has been arranged, please contact either Suzie Kietzman on 125 or Leslie de Wet on 138 for seating.

  *   The Movie next Wednesday 18th is the very entertaining Swan Lake on Ice, featuring the Imperial Ice Stars and their interpretation of the musical score by Tchaikovsky. This show captures the art form of Ice Dance and allows the viewer to truly marvel at the skills of the Imperial Ice Stars. Superb sets, lighting design, Tchaikovsky's beautiful music specially captures the mood.

  *   On Thursday 19th from 09h00 in the Lifestyle Centre we have the last, ever-popular Market Day for the year, Organised by Clare and Don Yeowell from our Evergreen Noordhoek village. Goodies for sale include homemade jams, cheeses, chocolates, breads, fresh proteas and a lot more………chance for some last-minute frantic Christmas shopping.

  *   Join Keith on the Keyboard on Tuesday 24th, Christmas Eve, at 4h15 pm, Keith will play all the favourite and well-known Christmas carols and invite you to sing along. Our usual Pub Evening’s will take place shortly afterwards.
  *   Look out for the annual Christmas carol walk-about in the village where you will be entertained by our fabulous Evergreen choir.
   Forthcoming events:

  *   Catering on the holidays are as follows –

  *   Christmas lunch, enjoy a cold meat Christmas platter consisting of traditional meats and salads.
  *   Day of Goodwill, normal daily menu served
  *   News Year’s Eve, the kitchen will be serving a platter with various snacks and eats to help you see out the old year. Please feel free to BYO to share with fellow residents.
  *   New Year’s Day, 2020 will start with a lunch time braai consisting of two meats, garlic roll and salad.

  *   Welcome 2020 by joining fellow residents at the New Year’s Eve Bash featuring DJ “Captain John Morgan”, who promises to stay awake until midnight, playing all your favourites from the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s.
  *   Don’t forget the ever popular Month End Madness Fish / Calamari & Chips for R50.00, this normally sells for R62.00 on Friday 27th  December. Please book at the Bistro by dialling 2253.

Village General

  *   eThank you to those who have volunteered to be “Evacuation Marshals”. We need six marshals on each apartment floor and six marshals for the houses. You will be trained into exactly what you are required to do. We will be holding a meeting with each group.
  *   A reminder to please let the office know when you leave and when you return to the village for any medical procedures. We do not always know when you leave the village, it is vitally important, not only from a safety point of view but also from a medical and healthcare point. We need to know what transpired so we are able to put a healthcare plan together.
  *   Remember to test your TeleCare unit RED button regularly, at least once every two weeks and report to the office if it is not working.
Have a great week-end and let’s hope the Blitz Bokke bring the cup back to Cape Town after finishing third last year.

Derek

	Authority to Contract
No agreement binding the company will come into effect unless reduced to writing and signed by a duly authorised director of the company.

Confidentiality Notice
This is a legally privileged and confidential communication intended only for the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient or you have received this communication in error, you are hereby strictly prohibited from using, disseminating, distributing or copying this e-mail or any of the attachments or parts thereof, and you are kindly requested to notify us and delete the erroneous communication. Neither Amdec, its directors, officers, employees, agents, independent contractors, representatives, subsidiaries, affiliates, associated-, controlling- and/or holding companies and insurers, past and present, shall be liable for any direct, indirect, special, consequential or other damage or loss of any kind whatsoever and howsoever suffered or incurred, arising from this email and/or from the accessing of any attachments, including but not necessarily limited to loss or damage/s caused by any type of malicious software.