[Zsd-news] ZSD News Letter

Support iforbes at zsd.co.za
Fri Jul 20 13:28:47 SAST 2007

Hi All

BROADBAND OPTIONS

There is a lot more noise in the media these days about new broadband
options. There has been a slight reduction in the upstream costs. ZSD
used this opportunity to "tune" our ADSL offering to ensure that we
continue to meet our client's needs. We now offer ADSL "ISP" accounts on
two distinct plans.

Roll Over Option:

Any unused bandwidth at the end of the month is carried over to the
following month, for a period of up to 3 months (ie the current
month and the next two months). This is the "low maintenance option" for
most home users. Most months these users stay within their cap limits.
But occasionally there is something that causes them to exceed their
cap. They will then be able to draw on past credits so as to get by
until the end of the month without having to purchase "top up"
bandwidth. Our users have been enjoying the benefits of the roll over
system since early this year. This was delivered on a "beta" system but
we withheld making an official announcement until our back end software
was re-written to be more user friendly for our support staff and our
customers.

Rebate Option:

This plan is designed for businesses who use quite a lot of bandwidth
and stand to suffer significant disruption in the event that their
connection is "capped". The rebate option allows these customers to
authorize an amount of bandwidth that is adequate to cover their needs
in all situations. However if they do not use it all, they will receive
a credit on the unused portion.

Price Reduction, 1 GB Accounts:

We have also reviewed our pricing. Our 1 GB ADSL ISP accounts have been
reduced to R99 per month, including VAT. Existing clients will enjoy
this new rate with effect from the 1 August.

Top Up Bandwidth

In the event that you run out of bandwidth, top up bandwidth is readily
available. You can phone, e-mail or fax ZSD and we can have your cap
increased within 15 minutes (during office hours). There is no need to
change your username or password. Top up bandwidth is sold at the same
prices as normal bandwidth - it is not charged at a "premium" rate. You
do not need to make an immediate payment as the costs will be invoiced
to your next month's account.

HOW DOES THE BANDWIDTH GET USED UP?

This is a question we answer almost as often as we are requested to
supply top-up bandwidth. The biggest consumers of bandwidth are:

- Streaming media. Either audio, like "Internet radio", or video, like
security camera systems. Remember to close these applications if you are
not actively using them. A portable radio is much more cost effective
way of listening to radio. Downloaded music and video files, like those
from "You Tube" are also big culprits.

- On line web applications. Google have made a name for themselves by
creating a number of interesting "on line" applications. In addition to
"Google Earth" there is now also "Google Desktop". This is really cool
technology but it consumes a large amount of Internet bandwidth,
particularly the Google Desktop product. Where that bandwidth must be
supplied by undersea cable to a developing country, running Google
Desktop becomes rather expensive.

- Viruses and worms. From time to time we get reports of users who get
infected with "malware". These are nasty programs which do nasty things,
including consuming a lot of bandwidth.

Clearly the market in South Africa is becoming more mature. Prices have
come down and there should be more reductions in the future, but we
still have a long way to go.

Regards

Ian Forbes