[Evergreen Muizenberg] Evergreen Muizenberg - What’s happening - 1 to 11 November 2019

Evergreen Muizenberg evergreenmuizenberg at lists.zsd.co.za
Thu Oct 31 16:59:01 SAST 2019

        Dear Resident,

What’s happening this week & next: 1 to 11 November

Can you believe it ? In less than two months it is Christmas, that’s right, only eight Sundays left. We also cannot shake off winter, however it looks like we are in for some warmer weather coming up. The rain is not all bad news, we have had 136mm in October, with the average rainfall being only 33mm for this time of the year. The average annual rainfall for Muizenberg is only 520mm. Total dam storage that feeds Cape Town now stands at 84%, a 10% increase on last year. The total Western Cape dams are at 66%.

It was fabulous to see all the support and the outpouring of generosity this Saturday at our Annual Evergreen Muizenberg Craft Market which is in aid of the SPCA. From what I could see, everyone there enjoyed the afternoon. I can also reveal that over R 14 500 was raised, what a fantastic effort. As Mahatma Gandhi once said, “The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
I would like to again thank the committee, Sophia McKellar, who was the convener, Gill Morgan, Gill Pearson, Lydia Hirschmann, Susie Kietsmann, Denise Elkin, Sheila Hunt and Elaine Turner, sterling work ladies.

A reminder that the next Residents Committee meeting is on Tuesday 12 November, please submit any comments or questions for this meeting to reception, Jim Raubenheimer or the ResCom chairman, Neville Woudberg.
Please also find attached minutes from the AGM.

November is Movember month, this is a play on the word moustache, which has now become Men’s Health month. This initiative undertakes fundraising for research in male specific diseases and educates the public about men's health issues, such as prostate and testicular cancer, mental health and physical inactivity.
Gentlemen, show you support for Movember and grow a MO. Report to the reception desk on Friday 1 November, you have to be clean shaven,  have your photo taken, do not shave your mo again for the rest of the month. Thursday 28 Movember is judgement day. We have a panel of lady judges with combs and magnifying glasses to cast their eyes across the Mo’s. Some fabulous prizes to be won, judging to coincide with a lunch time boerewors braai.

Remembrance Day, Monday 11 November is another very important day in our history. This day, also referred to as ‘Poppy Day’, commemorates the signing of the armistice at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month at the end of WW1. It is a day to remember and celebrate the lives of those who lost theirs during any armed conflict since then. We are commemorating this day with a special Remembrance Day service on Friday 8 November led by our own Hugh Till. This will also be an occasion to celebrate the lives of those residents who have passed in the last year. The service will take place at the TV area.
Support ‘Poppy Day’ by placing a donation in the tin at reception and taking a ‘poppy’. The money collected goes to the South African Legion, this organisation addresses the needs of ex-service personnel and their dependents by way of housing, pensions, employment and general welfare. It is apolitical, non-sectarian, non-racial, non-sexist and non-partisan. A very worthy cause.

In my readings about interesting people I came across Kahlil Gibran, who also happened to be the recently passed Diana Tarratt Cross’s favourite poet / prophet. He was a bit of a romantic which comes out in the following quotes I have chosen.

“If you love somebody, let them go, for if they return, they were always yours. If they don't, they never were.”

“Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.”

“One day you will ask me which is more important? My life or yours? I will say mine and you will walk away not knowing that you are my life.”

“Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart.”

We would like to wish the following residents a very Happy Birthday:

3

Paul Robert Williams

H81

5

Norah Robson

H49

5

Elaine Kirstein

FC

7

Shirley Van Eeden

H23

7

Peter Heyneke

H76

8

Audrey Marshall

H63

10

Matilda Terblanche

A347

11

Eloff Olivier

H17

BISTRO MENU:

Please find below the menu for the week and menus for November attached
Bookings can be made with at the Bistro on Ext 2253. Payment can be made on account, cash or credit card.
You are also very welcome to bring your own alcoholic refreshments.

STARTER

MAIN OPTION 1

MAIN OPTION 2

DESSERT

FRIDAY
1 NOVEMBER

SPRINGROLLS WITH SWEET & SOUR SAUCE

BUTTER CHICKEN, SAMBALS, BASMATI RICE & SEASONAL VEGETABLES

PREMIUM:
FRIED FISH WITH TARTARE
SAUCE, CHIPS
& SALAD OF THE DAY

BAR ONE CHOCOLATE MOUSSE

SATURDAY
2 NOVEMBER

CAPRESE
KEBAB

FISHERMAN’S PIE & GRAVY SERVED WITH SEASONAL VEGETABLES

CHICKEN STRIPS SERVED WITH A SWEET & SOUR SAUCE, ROAST POTATOES WEDGES & SEASONAL VEGETABLES

JELLY & CUSTARD

SUNDAY
3 NOVEMBER

ROASTED BUTTERNUT SOUP & ROLL WITH BUTTER

ROAST BEEF, GRAVY & YORKSHIRE PUDDING SERVED WITH ROAST POTATOES & SEASONAL VEGETABLES

ROAST CHUTNEY CHICKEN & GRAVY SERVED WITH ROAST POTATOES & SEASONAL VEGETABLES

PEPPERMINT TART

MONDAY
4 NOVEMBER

DEEP FRIED POTATO BALLS WITH A PESTO DRIZZLE

CHICKEN, FETA & BUTTERNUT LASAGNE SERVED WITH SALAD

PREMIUM:
FRIED CALAMARI SERVED WITH TARTAR SAUCE, ROAST POTATOES & SALAD

CINNAMON INFUSED GUAVAS SERVED WITH CUSTARD

TUESDAY
5 NOVEMBER

BUTTERNUT & FETA STACK

BOBOTIE PANCAKE SERVED WITH BABY POTATOES & SALAD

PREMIUM:
GREEKSTYLE HAKE SERVED WITH BABY POTATOES & SALAD

CUSTARD DANISH

WEDNESDAY
6 NOVEMBER

FRIED ONION RINGS & TARTAR SAUCE

VENISON PIE & GRAVY SERVED WITH MASHED POTATOES AND SEASONAL VEGETABLES

BBQ CHICKEN KEBAB, MASHED POTATOES AND SEASONAL VEGETABLES

CHOCOLATE KISSES & ICE CREAM

THURSDAY
7 NOVEMBER

CAPRESE BRUSCHETTA

COQ AU VIN CHICKEN CASSEROLE WITH PARSLEY RICE & SEASONAL VEGETABLES

BEEF SAUSAGES & GRAVY SERVED WITH MASHED POTATOES & SEASONAL VEGETABLES

CHOCOLATE ECLAIRS

FRIDAY
8 NOVEMBER

CRUMBED MUSHROOMS & TARTAR SAUCE

ROAST CHICKEN, SPINACH & FETA QUICHE SERVED CHIPS & SALAD OF THE DAY

PREMIUM:
FRIED FISH WITH TARTAR
SAUCE, CHIPS
& SALAD OF THE DAY

STRAWBERRY TART

SATURDAY
9 NOVEMBER

VEGETABLE SOUP, BREAD ROLL & BUTTER

SPAGHETTI BOLOGNAISE TOPPED WITH CHEDDAR WITH SALAD OF THE DAY

BACON, RED ONION & FETA QUICHE, POTATO WEDGES & SALAD

ICE CREAM & NUTTY CHOCOLATE SAUCE

SUNDAY
10 NOVEMBER

BACON & BLUE CHEESE PHYLLO BASKET

ROAST THYME INFUSED PORK FILLET, GRAVY, ROAST POTATOES & SEASONAL VEGETABLES

ROAST APRICOT CHICKEN, GRAVY, ROAST POTATOES & SEASONAL VEGETABLES

TRIFLE

Coming up in the next week:-

  *   On Friday 1st and Monday 4th we have organised Appleton Fiduciary Services to speak to us on Living Wills, Wills and Estates. We have organised a morning and afternoon session. Come along to the TV area to listen to this talk and ask questions.

  *   Saturday will see the biggest match and TV audience of the last four years when our Springboks take on the English. We can be very proud of the team and the fantastic turnaround that Rassie Erasmus has managed in just 18 months. Kick-off is at 11.00am, join fellow residents at the TV Area to support the BOKKE.

  *   On Tuesday 5th from 09h00 in the Lifestyle Centre we have our ever-popular Market Day organised by the folks on the ‘other side of the mountain’. Goodies for sale include homemade jams, cheeses, chocolates, breads, fresh proteas and a lot more………

  *   Also on Tuesday, join Kate Kvalsvig with her unique concept of  “Leave your Memoirs in Video”. Join Kate for tea and cake at the TV area to find out more. Please book at reception.

  *   Also on Tuesday 5 October at 2.30pm join Hydle de Villiers at the monthly Chit-Chat in the lifestyle centre. An excellent initiative started by Hydle to welcome new residents to Muizenberg. Enjoy a cup of tea and something sweet whilst mingling with fellow residents, all residents welcome, especially our new ‘newbies’.

  *   Tuesday happenings do not end, our usual Pub Evening’s on a Tuesday will have an added reason to attend, Keith Jewell will be at the keyboard playing old time classics from 4.15pm

  *   Movie nights have had a small change, we have moved the Sunday movie also to a Wednesday, so a featured movie will now be shown every Wednesday. The ever popular “Snack Supper’s” will also be available every Wednesday, book by Tuesday 4pm at the Bistro.
This Wednesday’s movie is “The League of Gentleman” released in 1960. Movie starts at 6pm at the TV Lounge.

Synopsis - An engrossing suspenser with dashes of comedy, League of Gentlemen is about a daring group of highly trained army men, turned bank robbers. When Hyde (Jack Hawkins) is drummed out of the army after years of devoted service, he decides to get back at society in general. One by one, he finds seven other army officers who are now broke and who walk on the shady side of the law. All eight men go into hiding as they plan the robbery with the care and attention of a behind-the-lines reconnaissance mission. As they undertake tasks like raiding a military depot for explosives and similar stunts, suspense and incidental humour increase, leading up to bank day when the really big show has to be pulled off without a hitch.…………………………

  *   Kind2Hearing will be with us again on Thursday 7th, for their normal audiology testing , please book at reception now. The testing takes place in the Boardroom.

  *   Book Club meet again for their monthly get-together on Thursday 7th at 3pm in the lifestyle lounge. This time they have a special guest Emmaleen Kriel, author of “Close the door softly behind you” who will read from her new book. Please RSVP by Tuesday at reception.
   Forthcoming events:

  *   Bingo on Thursday 14 November. A nominal fee of R30.00 is payable, which goes towards prizes and catering. Please book by Wednesday and pay at reception. All welcome……encourage our new residents to join for a great evening

  *   The Evergreen Group is sponsoring this year’s Cape Veterans T20 Cricket League. Some exciting games have already taken place at different venues across the peninsula. Let us know if you would like to attend, Bronwyn our Hospitality Manager will be at the games to meet and greet you and we will supply a drinks voucher for you to enjoy on the day. There are clubhouse facilities where residents can purchase drinks and food.

Upcoming matches –

  *   Wednesday 13th November – Rondebosch Cricket Club at 16h00. Rondebosch VS Cape Town
  *   Wednesday 27th November – Rondebosch Cricket Club at 16h00. Rondebosch VS Fish Hoek

  *   Our ‘special trip’ in November is to the NSRI Base Station in Hout Bay. Some of you attended Tanya Meth’s interesting talk on the work that the NSRI does. You will now have a chance to visit a station to see live what it all entails. The trip will take a scenic route either through Constantia or over Chapman’s Peak to Hout Bay, do the tour and then have lunch in Hout Bay. Promises to be another lovely trip. Please book at Reception, price R60.00 per person, only 13 seats available.
Attached please find the November Social Calendar for your viewing.

  Village General

  *   Remember that the City of Cape Town grants a rates rebate for those residents on a pension or social grant. Those of you who earn a household income of less than R 17 500 are eligible to receive a rebate of up to 100% of your rates. You are encouraged to apply, don’t delay, close off date is 30 November. Reception will print the forms for you and David Rosenberg, apartment 115, has kindly offered to assist anyone who might need help in completing the forms.

  *   We are looking for volunteers to form a Garden Committee (to be known as the “Greenies”) I sure some of you have noticed the herb & vegetable pallets next to house 67 and the water tanks. I have been amazed at how quickly this has grown, vegetables such as beetroot, pakchoi, spinach and a variety of herbs, like chives, coriander and sweet basil. With the help of Nigel and his team. The Garden Committee will not only oversee this but all public gardens and grassed areas in the village. Your help will be appreciated.

  *   It is again that time of the year when we ask you to give again. Now in its fourth year, we ask residents to donate foods stuffs for those children that rely on the school, Capricorn Primary School, for their daily meals. With the school closed for the holidays the one decent meal per day is now not available. The aim is to feed 150 families for the six weeks that the school is closed. The families have been selected by the school social worker as those most in need. A box will be placed in the foyer with a list of the recommended food for you to put your donation in. No matter how small and insignificant you might think something is, anything will help.

  *   A reminder to please let the office know when you leave and when you return to the village for any medical procedures. We do not always know when you leave the village, it is vitally important, not only from a safety point of view but also from a medical and healthcare point. We need to know what transpired so we are able to put a healthcare plan together.

  *   Back of House. Please be reminded that no residents should go to the ‘back of house’ area. This includes the Laundry and Maintenance office. This area can be dangerous as it is a high usage area. The laundry has a collection and drop off service, just call Shirley on 2255. All maintenance issues must be logged at reception who in turn will give it to maintenance.

  *   Another reminder regarding our refuse pick up service, refuse and recyclables are to be put be out only in the mornings and before 8.30. It is not to be put out the night before. This is not only for the consideration of your neighbours but putting out refuse for a period of time might attract vermin and other undesirable insects.

Have a great week-end and let us be World Champions on Saturday.

Warm Regards
Derek

	Authority to Contract
No agreement binding the company will come into effect unless reduced to writing and signed by a duly authorised director of the company.

Confidentiality Notice
This is a legally privileged and confidential communication intended only for the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient or you have received this communication in error, you are hereby strictly prohibited from using, disseminating, distributing or copying this e-mail or any of the attachments or parts thereof, and you are kindly requested to notify us and delete the erroneous communication. Neither Amdec, its directors, officers, employees, agents, independent contractors, representatives, subsidiaries, affiliates, associated-, controlling- and/or holding companies and insurers, past and present, shall be liable for any direct, indirect, special, consequential or other damage or loss of any kind whatsoever and howsoever suffered or incurred, arising from this email and/or from the accessing of any attachments, including but not necessarily limited to loss or damage/s caused by any type of malicious software.