[Zsd-news] September Newsletter: The Second Network Operator, Telkom's Future Competition

I. Forbes iforbes@zsd.co.za
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 11:46:37 +0200

Hi All

Before I get into this months newsletter, I must first put
out a
warning to all users of "advanced" versions of
Windows - ie
variants of NT, Windows 2000 and XP.

A new security vulnerability has been discovered in
these products
which is similar but different to the one  which was
exploited by the
infamous "blaster" worm.  While the existence of the
bug is known
and Microsoft  have released a "patch" to fix it, there is
still no
known  exploit "in the wild". However you can be sure
that  every
evil minded cracker is busy working this and a  nasty
worm is sure
to follow. (for details go to
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp
?url=/technet/
security/bulletin/MS03-039.asp)

To avoid a sticky situation you should install the patch
from
Microsoft ASAP. You need to do this even if you
applied patches to
fix a Blaster worm problem. Anti- virus software won't
help either,
even if you have the  latest pattern files, as this
vulnerability is open
to  direct attack over the network.  The best way to
install  the
patches is with the help of
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com.

If you receive a friendly e-mail purporting to be from
"support@microsoft.com" (or something similar) with
an attached
"exe" file, delete it, it is definitely not from  Microsoft
and it is sure to
be a virus. (for background  see
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp
?url=/technet/
security/policy/swdist.asp)

Users of Windows 95, 98 and ME (and Mac's and
Linux) need not
panic. This does not effect you. The  rest of you
should go to
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com now, even before
you read the
rest of this newsletter.

TELKOM and the "SECOND NETWORK OPERATOR"

I have just returned from a conference in
Johannesburg where I
was fortunate in hearing  presentations from a number
of people in
the Internet  industry including representatives from
Telkom and  the
"Second Network Operator" (SNO) - Telkom's  future
competition.

The SNO consortium currently has 3 partners
destined to buy 49%
of the shares,  Transtel (who provide telephone
infrastructure for
our  national railways), Esi-Tel (who do the same for
Eskom) and
Nexus Connexion (a group of "Black  Empowerment"
investors).
They are still looking for a  "Strategic Equity Partner"
(SEP), an
international  telecommunications company with lots of
money to
take up the remaining 51%. However to date, no
suitable partner
has been forthcoming.

The SNO, when it happens, will have the opportunity
to deploy new
technologies. They already have their  eye on cost
saving ideas. As
the "voice" market is dominated by Telkom and cell
phone providers
they  will be looking to the data market and broad
band  internet in
particular for a reasonable portion of their  client base.
It seems they
intend to mix voice and data  networks to a far greater
extent than
Telkom does at  the moment. However without an
SEP, they may
have  to persuade the Government to let them go it
alone,  and
without external capital, their wings will be clipped
before they start.

Telkom on the other hand are not lying down. They
have an
established infrastructure and an established  client
base. They are
ready and waiting to defend  themselves from the new
opposition -
when it finally  arrives.

In the meantime it is clear that the our current
monopolistic
situation is having a negative effect on  the
development of the
Internet in South Africa. Five  or ten years ago South
Africa was a
leader amongst  "developing" countries in the use of
the internet.
Since  then we have steadly been falling behind and
today other
countries like Brazil and India are far ahead of  us.

Delegates from international organizations who have
knowledge of
the internet industry from many parts of  the world
indicated that
South Africa has one of the most draconian legislative
frameworks
regarding  internet and telecommunications.

But the loudest complaints came from delegates
responsible for
non-profit and community based  projects. The
Western Cape is a
leader in this field and many local schools and
libraries have
internet  access, or will soon be getting it. A lot of the
costs of
providing this access has been sponsored by
businesses etc.
However much of this funding is  finding its way into
Telkom's
revenue in the form of  over priced leased line and
dial-up call
charges. They  also complained that their efforts to
bring the
internet  to rural communities and poor areas with
limited
infrastructure have been thwarted by the prohibition
on the use of
wireless technologies.

ZSD's OBJECTIVES

ZSD like the rest of the Internet Industry, cannot do
much to
change the above situation. We belong to  ISPA (The
Internet
Service Provider's Association of  SA ) and through
them we have
made representations  to ICASA, the Competition's
Board and
Government.  However it is clear that the situation is
not going to
change soon.

In the meantime ZSD's objective is to provide our
clients with the
best possible Internet services  available within the
limitations of the
current  framework. We work to maximize their
benefits from  the
use of these services while avoiding unnecessary
expenditure.
Finally we strive to maintain a stable  service and to
steer our
customers away from  expensive mistakes.

Regards

Ian Forbes
--
Ian Forbes ZSD