[Zsd-news] ZSD News, July 2003: "Private use of Business Internet"

I. Forbes iforbes@zsd.co.za
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 12:25:20 +0200

Hi All

This month I want to have a look at the subject of private use of
business internet.

Internet and e-mail facilities are an essential resource for most
modern office environments. These facilities are used for business
related e-mails, internet banking etc. In addition to this staff
members may wish to use the facilities for private e-mails and non-
business related browsing. It is a  very reasonable thing for
management to permit modest private usage of these resources.

However there is often an attitude amongst staff, and sometimes
individuals in management too, that internet charges are an
overhead that has been paid for by the business and that the
facilities should be used to the fullest extent, both for business and
private usage.

This can lead to problems. Sooner rather than later, the facilities get
overloaded and the "quality of service" suffers. E-mail gets delayed
and on-line transactions slow down dramatically.  Eventually an
important e-mail gets delayed unacceptably or an essential task like
paying wages gets disrupted. At this stage the management become
alerted to a problem.

We have been asked to investigate problems in this kind of scenario
on many occasions. We have found many "interesting" causes
ranging from individuals downloading pornography through the
sending of "joke" e-mails to the internet being used to play a local
radio station in the office.

PRIVACY AND OFFICE RESOURCES

Is an employer entitled to monitor and/or intercept an employees e-
mail? Well I am not a lawyer so I am not really qualified to answer,
but there are a few principals:

- Firstly if the employer has paid for the resource, he is entitled to
make regulations concerning how those resources are to be used -
both for private and company traffic.

- Secondly, if these regulations amount to the fact that private e-mail
and internet usage is subject to monitoring, then the employees
have a right to be informed of this situation.

Ideally there should be a company policy in place which is
communicated to all parties.

THE COST OF SENDING E-MAIL

Everybody knows it costs R1.65 to post a standard sized letter but
e-mail is free -  or is it?

There are the overheads costs of computers, networks, modems
etc. There are also monthly charges from the ISP as well as
telecommunication costs payable to Telkom. These charges are
payable by both the sender and the recipient. Sometimes dial-up
telephone call charges are payable, during office hours these can
amount to over R2 per mB of data downloaded.

We have done some investigation into the cost of sending and
receiving e-mail. A lot depends on the type of connection, the time
of day that users are on line and the way that fixed costs of leased
lines etc are accounted for. The answer seems to fall between R1
and R2.50 per mByte for the recipient and the same again for the
sender. (Obviously there are exceptions on both ends of the scale).
Clearly these charges can add up.

TYPICAL INTERNET OFFICE ABUSE

E-mail Abuse:

>From the above you can see that the cost of forwarding a clever
animated joke e-mail to everybody in your address book can easily
amount to many hundreds of rands. The bulk of this being payable
by your friends who have their own personal dial-up accounts.
Forwarding multiple copies of large e-mails can put a tremendous
load on resources and it should be strongly discouraged. Being on
the receiving end of these e-mails if often not much better. It is fair
to ask staff members to discourage their correspondents from
sending these messages and to ask for their names to be removed
from the circulation address lists.

Another favourite is the sending of digital photographs. It is so
tempting after the wedding, christening or other occasion to send a
'roll' of 36 digital pic's to each of your favourite relations. Rather
keep it down to say two photo's and 5 recipients (or 5 photo's and 2
recipients). Even that will put more load on the system than the boss
would care to know about...

Music and other non-work related Downloads:

While there may be some justification for sending out photo's,
downloading music and games etc is definitely a step higher on the
resource abuse scale. Notwithstanding the possibility of copyright
infringements, these also cause major loads on resources.
Particularly when dial-up links are involved, as these activities will
mean that the link has to remain connected for many hours with an
obvious cost to the business.

Pornography

I don't think any business would be happy for their resources to be
used for viewing pornography. If computers are in an open plan
office environment, this tends to regulate itself. Abuse tends to
occur in private offices and after hours. Individuals can get addicted
to viewing pornography. In some cases the offenders require
counselling.

CONCLUSION

We as an ISP, our business customers and their staff all have a
single objective. That is that e-mail and internet facilities should
enable that business to work more efficiently and effectively. It
should not be a net loss to the business and it should never "break
down" and disrupt the business activities. Most business systems
can easily handle some private traffic, but all parties must
understand that resources are finite. Ideally there should be
regulations in place which outlines what is and is not acceptable.

Finally if you want to listen to a radio station while you are working,
rather bring a portable radio into the office than tune in via the
internet - you will save your employer a fortune!
Ian Forbes ZSD
http://www.zsd.co.za
Office: +27 21 683-1388  Fax: +27 21 674-1106
Snail Mail: P.O. Box 46827, Glosderry, 7702, South Africa