[Evergreen Muizenberg] Awarding winning playwright Mike van Graan with his latest production "My Fellow South Africans"

Evergreen Muizenberg evergreenmuizenberg at lists.zsd.co.za
Tue Aug 29 16:56:13 SAST 2023

        Dear Resident,

I am honoured to showcase a theatre production by award winning playwright
Mike van Graan "My Fellow South Africans". Mike also directs the play performed by
the talented Kim Blanche Adonis, a solo piece that combines comedy, singing, poetry
and drama through sixty minutes of high energy and focus, and has earned much
critical and audience praise for her talent, technical skills and commitment.

Please find attached poster for "My Fellow South Africans" and below more information
on the production and critics reviews.

DATE : Wednesday 6 September
VENUE : Large TV Area, Lifestyle Centre
TIME : 5pm for 6pm
PRICE : R95.00 includes a snack and a glass of wine
BOOKINGS : Reception desk, limited seating

As part of his year-long Artist-in-Residency programme at the University of Johannesburg, playwright
Mike van Graan has created My Fellow South Africans, a multi-sketch satirical revue in the tradition of his
award-winning works "Pay Back the Curry" and "State Fracture". Van Graan plans to tour his latest
one-person revue around the country for at least a year to contribute to the themes that will shape the
2024 elections, and use the opportunity to undertake research into satire as a form of discourse, the
evolution of a creative piece of contemporary social commentary over an extended period, with the
ambition to perform the work in non-conventional spaces, including community halls, corporate boardrooms,
retirement villages and people's homes!

Having premiered at ARTSCAPE in May 2023 where it initially had a three-week run, the season for
My Fellow South Africans was extended by four weeks after the last week of the premiere season sold out.

The talented Kim Blanche Adonis performs this solo piece that combines comedy, singing, poetry and drama
through sixty minutes of high energy and focus, and has earned much critical and audience praise for her talent,
technical skills and commitment.

Van Graan also directs this revue that includes older, adapted and new sketches, thereby expanding his creative
involvement in the project and adding this to the producing and marketing roles that he generally plays in getting
his works to the stage.

The same creative team has evolved an earlier work - "He Had It Coming" - also a multi-sketch piece, into a revue
that focuses on the scourge of gender-based violence and its related themes. It is aimed particularly at high school
learners and students to catalyse education and debate around this pandemic.

My Fellow South Africans has resonated with audiences across the board, touching on nerves with which many in our
country can identify.  Academics, NGO leaders, teachers and corporate CEOs, students and retirees - all have praised
the work as tapping into our current anxieties and frustrations while allowing us a moment of catharsis and hope.

Here's what some have said about My Fellow South Africans

So clever and entertaining as well as educational, funny, profound, real.  Best hour spent in an intimate setting.
Not to be missed.

-       Laurence Esteve, co-director of the Zip Zap Circus

It is such a cleverly constructed play, with a brilliant performance by Kim Blanche Adonis....It is the kind of play that
should be performed to young people throughout the country and...followed by a discussion of the issues raised.

-       Ryland Fisher, former editor of the Cape Times

My Fellow South Africans...just go and see this laugh-cry production by which you cannot be unmoved.

-       Nancy Richards, former host of a women's programme on SAfm

My Fellow South Africans is bracing satirical sketch comedy, performed by Kim Blanche Adonis with great skill...Adonis...
is funny and fabulous and there are moments of laugh-out-loud laughter and we need that.
           - Robyn Cohen, Cape Robyn

	Authority to Contract
No agreement binding the company will come into effect unless reduced to writing and signed by a duly authorised director of the company.

Confidentiality Notice
This is a legally privileged and confidential communication intended only for the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient or you have received this communication in error, you are hereby strictly prohibited from using, disseminating, distributing or copying this e-mail or any of the attachments or parts thereof, and you are kindly requested to notify us and delete the erroneous communication. Neither Amdec, its directors, officers, employees, agents, independent contractors, representatives, subsidiaries, affiliates, associated-, controlling- and/or holding companies and insurers, past and present, shall be liable for any direct, indirect, special, consequential or other damage or loss of any kind whatsoever and howsoever suffered or incurred, arising from this email and/or from the accessing of any attachments, including but not necessarily limited to loss or damage/s caused by any type of malicious software.