[Evergreen Broadacres] ResCom Chatter - End January 2019

Evergreen Broadacres evergreenbroadacres at lists.zsd.co.za
Wed Jan 30 15:57:41 SAST 2019

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/3e33bbde04d5ced9d9186cbd0/images/642a7b54-6b09-4f2c-b8e4-8d91fb08672c.jpg]

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/3e33bbde04d5ced9d9186cbd0/images/f252756e-1dae-4c6a-9995-dd2d386b9e35.jpg]

End January 2019

Wow! a bumper edition for the New Year. All the best Chris.

FROM OUR CHAIRMAN - HENNIE:

Dear fellow Residents,

2019 has got off to a great start with two fabulous parties: New Year’s Eve and Burns Night! And for both we owe a very big THANK YOU to our stand-in hospitality team ably led by Pauline Mackie and Sue Stirton with support from Marilyn Maclachlan and a host of ladies. And not to forget Chris Edwards and Basil Bold for the music and electronics!

At about the time that this Chatter goes out we’d have enjoyed what I call Evergreen’s mystery party!  We have been invited to “… an Evergreen Social Evening …”  I’m told that they’ve already held 3 of these in Cape Town, and that they were great parties – so we wait and see!

What I do know is that everybody in the Evergreen Management Team (refer Arthur Case’s letter received on 24 January 2019) plus many others will be here and the purpose is “… to chat and wish you well for the New Year.”

The day after the party your ResCom will be given feed-back on the “Evergreen Lived Experience” document we submitted in October. We understand that once we’ve had that feed-back, we’d be allowed to publish our document. We’ll publish that as soon as we can together with the feed-back we received. You will then be invited to prepare your own “Lived Experience”.

Your ResCom will also have the opportunity to interact with the new Management Team on all the projects we have listed in our Projects and Priorities List. Hopefully we’ll be given some indication on when we may expect action on most of them, including the borehole. We will happily pass on to you any firm commitments.

Please diarise 16.00 on Tuesday, 26 February 2019, for ResCom’s Mid-Term Report Back Meeting. Two weeks earlier you will receive a report from each ResCom Member, outlining what has been achieved in their Portfolio in the first part of the year, with an outline of what is planned for the rest of the year. You will be given the opportunity to submit written questions in the week before the meeting, to be answered at the meeting.

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/3e33bbde04d5ced9d9186cbd0/images/0cc49a69-28a7-4ad1-94e3-6db2c03bb267.png]

WHATSAPP GROUPS:

Waterhole Group: (46 participants) growing fast
Info Evergreen Group: (87 participants) can we get to 100?
Movies Evergreen Group: (56 participants)
Chat Evergreen Group: (29 participants) so, get chatting?

I would like to invite all new Residents with iPhones and Android smart phones to join any group or groups. We try to limit 'chatter', so if your previous group experience had lots of it, rest assured we try to be a little more controlled.

WhatsApp is really a quick (make that instant) and easy way of passing on information between users and of course it is totally free (apart from any transport medium used i.e. Wi-Fi, Fibre etc.)

Just contact me (Chris on ext. 1089 or 084 582 9129) and I can add you to any group of your choice or show you how to get WhatsApp, or start a new group (What say you Ernie?)

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/3e33bbde04d5ced9d9186cbd0/images/afcf77b8-6e94-475b-a13c-871b4b3fa209.jpg]

DECEMBER 2018 100 CLUB DRAW:

At the 100+ Club Draw at the Lifestyle Centre on Wednesday, 28 November 2018, the following were the lucky winners:

R 100 each: Felicity Morgan, Wally Ross, Gunnar Svensson, Derek Schuurman and Sharon Breval.
R 200 each: Pierre Theron and Milne Murray.
R 250: Henri Postema.
R 300 each: Henry Dobrowolski and Henri Postema.
R 500 each: Ruth Fidler and Lilo Kauzil.
R 1,000: Bee Elliot.
R 1,500: Patricia Bromfield

Congratulations to all the winners.
The next draw will take place in the Lifestyle Centre at the end of February 2019.

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/3e33bbde04d5ced9d9186cbd0/images/75374856-73e7-4f33-ac9e-60aa2c1052ec.png]

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/3e33bbde04d5ced9d9186cbd0/images/a0972f90-d392-49a8-ae18-cd0bd1dede6a.jpg]

The Amdec Group was built on a foundation of strong family values, and places a high premium on giving back to those less fortunate than ourselves. As a result, our Corporate Social Investment Projects are chosen to align with our aims of enhancing individual lives, building communities and uplifting children through education and sports development.

This year, the Amdec Group was the main sponsor of the Marius Schoeman Schoolboy 7s Rugby Tournament, which is a great example of the inherent power of sports development to change lives.

Named after Marius Schoeman, High-Performance Manager of the Springbok Sevens team, the Blitzbokke, this event sees young players from disadvantaged backgrounds compete across three age groups, in a spirit of fair play and sportsmanship, while enjoying unforgettable, life-altering experiences. They play against the big rugby schools and receive first-class coaching to improve their rugby skills, paving the way for talented youngsters to enter formal training and development programmes.

The Blitzbokke might not have made the best of starts to the 2018/19 World Rugby Sevens Series, but their exemplary record remains something for youngsters to aspire to. The Amdec Group will be there to cheer them on every step of the way.

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/3e33bbde04d5ced9d9186cbd0/images/965b926b-b143-4662-b30d-8e994b0e242e.jpg]

RAINFALL:

January, as expected, brought welcome and much needed relief. Hopefully this pattern will continue in February and March. We continue to remain in hope that the implementation of the borehole irrigation system will receive the priority it now so desperately deserves! Remember the drive to conserve water remains a national imperative.

Rainfall, in millimetres, for 2018/2019:
Feb '18: 58.0
Mar '18: 184.0
Apr '18: 42.0
May '18: 12.7
Jun '18: 6.0
Jul '18: 1.0
Aug '18:    Nil
Sep '18: 3.6
Oct '18: 54.7
Nov '18: 29.6
Dec '18: 84.3
Jan '19: 147.5
12 Months: 623.4

The average for January since 2013 is 106.1 mm.

2013:    84.2
2014:    47.3
2015:    94.9
2016:   135.0
2017:   173.4
2018:   60.2

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/3e33bbde04d5ced9d9186cbd0/images/5f602edc-99d6-4c8e-b63f-38000fae947d.jpg]

SUMMARY OF RESCOM EXPENSES FOR DECEMBER 2018:

Summary of ResCom transactions for December 2018:

Income

Expense

Balance

Cash on hand at 30 November 2018

29 346

Staff Christmas appeal

13 550

22 350

Goodwill donation

665

Social functions & decorations

3 095

Gifts & Presentations

108

Admin & Library costs

347

Total for the month

14 215

25 900

Cash on hand at 31 December 2018

17 661

Reserved funds:

     Activity Portfolio Float

(1 000)

     Catering Portfolio Float

(973)

     Library Expenses Float

(200)

     Lyn Huddy Memorial Fund

(3 887)

     White Elephant Sale

(1 734)

Total Reserved

(7 794)

Cash available at month end

9 867

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/3e33bbde04d5ced9d9186cbd0/images/8f956f20-4aa7-43fb-8314-5c8846bdb68c.png]

Picture from File

Hello Chris,

On Saturday evening, Gill and I were walking down the path by Unit #1 when I spotted a small, dark shape dash across the culvert road. It was the size of a cane rat. We went down to the culvert wingwall to look for it. Instead, we saw a beautiful Civet Cat standing on the dam wall! Totally impervious to us and my torch, it searched around the river bed before walking up the far bank and heading up towards the fence. Dick Sheppard assured me it’s the first such sighting in Evergreen.

Cheers,
Dave Campbell

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/3e33bbde04d5ced9d9186cbd0/images/c32808cd-81b1-4283-863f-0452e9da9367.png]

MARY PITT GETS HER WISH:

Just before Mary and Clive sailed off to the coast, she said to me that her Bucket List contained an entry on 'having a ride on my eTrike', of course only to pleased to promote the pleasures of 'eBiking', I let her have a go. She was a natural as you can see! Any other takers?

* * * * * * *

By the way, I send 'Chatter' to over 30 people, local and overseas, just to make them jealous of what we get up to in Evergreen!  If you want me to include any friends or relatives of yours, just drop me a line, and I can add them on to my email list.
Chris

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/3e33bbde04d5ced9d9186cbd0/images/0e684f74-5025-4c39-960a-7801eeb8f70f.jpg]

SOCIAL HAPPENINGS:

Kiloran, many thanks for the lovely pictures. So good in fact that I have little room for your tale of Machadodorp!
I promise next month, it will be first in line

New Year’s Eve 31st December 2018

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/3e33bbde04d5ced9d9186cbd0/images/91f0183f-e9e8-41a1-9a95-fc6f82eac827.png]

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/3e33bbde04d5ced9d9186cbd0/images/6fcc6fbf-e477-46e4-b021-70f0b64d38b8.png]

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/3e33bbde04d5ced9d9186cbd0/images/6d73c6b0-9c34-498c-8b0a-9af7842a0118.png]

Anne and Bob showing that age is no barrier to bopping?

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/3e33bbde04d5ced9d9186cbd0/images/28a820d8-4813-49c2-8ee1-729cdb3881b6.png]

And Elsbeth with Bee happy to show how it's done

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/3e33bbde04d5ced9d9186cbd0/images/42903432-7443-4e7d-8d93-8b23af456212.png]

The actual moment when 2019 was born!

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/3e33bbde04d5ced9d9186cbd0/images/5d1840bc-9e66-460b-a5a2-e01a332e9cf9.jpg]

Wine Tasting Evening
22 January 2019 (with some not so familiar faces)

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/3e33bbde04d5ced9d9186cbd0/images/baa35173-d6f0-4677-839a-67926c6fc8a4.png]

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/3e33bbde04d5ced9d9186cbd0/images/14671d29-b015-4d3f-acff-c05a7f5d8f53.png]

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/3e33bbde04d5ced9d9186cbd0/images/8994d76a-71a9-4784-bc71-bf993a8b7b32.png]

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/3e33bbde04d5ced9d9186cbd0/images/b4ea8c16-66b7-4c27-9206-ab408d81a683.png]

A PROBLEM FOR SENIORS WHO ARE AT WINE TASTING EVENTS:

You are on a horse galloping at a constant speed.
On your right side is a sharp drop-off.
On your left side is an elephant travelling at the same speed as you.
Directly in front of you is a galloping kangaroo and your horse is unable to overtake it.
Behind you is a lion running at the same speed as you and the kangaroo.
What must you do to get out of this highly dangerous situation?

See answer below.

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/3e33bbde04d5ced9d9186cbd0/images/fe243b32-9551-4bdb-8c75-e3486ee59f3b.jpg]
Get off the merry-go-round and go home. You've had enough wine for one day.

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/3e33bbde04d5ced9d9186cbd0/images/56e5b233-254e-4ea3-a4e4-190212064ead.jpg]

BURNS NICHT WITH 80TH BIRTHDAYS - 23 JANUARY 2019:

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/3e33bbde04d5ced9d9186cbd0/images/58607fa6-a51a-4160-8fb9-604550d334ea.png]

I know Brian's jokes are good, but Ann, was it that good?
Noreen says it wasn't a Ceilidh 'cos that's Irish (I think that it is Gaelic)

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/3e33bbde04d5ced9d9186cbd0/images/a5ecee17-4f54-4475-9313-6bdad9bb8431.png]

Our real Piper - Robin DÁrcy-Donnelly

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/3e33bbde04d5ced9d9186cbd0/images/b35e39e0-09a6-45cb-8aca-eda2d08b473c.png]

Oh dear! - Our not so real Scotsman Henry McDobrowolski

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/3e33bbde04d5ced9d9186cbd0/images/4a2339fa-4fe3-4755-a7f7-550f86078856.png]

The Gathering of the Clans - led by Ivar McSkanke (?)

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/3e33bbde04d5ced9d9186cbd0/images/815aeacc-ea4d-4ad0-be37-5d4278f4834c.png]

The Chieftain of Proceedings - Graham Langmead - At last a real Scotsman.

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/3e33bbde04d5ced9d9186cbd0/images/8ed6ccd3-b76c-4c48-b4dd-d6c26a607670.png]

Our Birthday Girls - Libby and Anne.

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/3e33bbde04d5ced9d9186cbd0/images/2b1fd57e-c9d6-4c46-bdcf-32e06643a6cc.png]

James Allan Esq making the Toast to the 'lassies'.

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/3e33bbde04d5ced9d9186cbd0/images/10334796-20c3-4d5b-b0ab-a28f5a27317a.png]

Another real Scotsman Charles Carroll.

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/3e33bbde04d5ced9d9186cbd0/images/e7142484-c08c-488c-9b39-a864ed622933.png]

Laird Graham called for a photo call of all who had a link to Scotland.
So what's with the Pole, Norwegian, and a Huguenot with his tartan trooosers???

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/3e33bbde04d5ced9d9186cbd0/images/4654b841-4176-4f26-af39-27e566fd848a.png]

Our lovely ladies - Oh!  What a sweet sight!
Hang on, there's that Pole again!

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/3e33bbde04d5ced9d9186cbd0/images/d8bbe8ed-b6a4-4519-a7eb-539e53d7b396.png]

Thanks again Kiloran for the wonderful photos!

PICTURE COMPETITION:

We are having a picture competition of Evergreen studies. This month we have an entry from Ada Rebelo Try your luck, prizes could include a weekend away with the editor!

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/3e33bbde04d5ced9d9186cbd0/images/e2035eea-89f7-4ed8-9966-c2eb1b8bb27e.png]

>From Ada - A Spectacular Sunrise

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/3e33bbde04d5ced9d9186cbd0/images/b8d547f5-ca29-42fe-a64b-4699e9aeacad.jpg]

RESTAURANT CHOICE:

Been to any good restaurants lately? Let us know your favourites. Here are a couple more;

Papa Pronto:
Great Takeaway and good deliveries - Near Cedar Square.

Olivia's:
173 Beyers Naudé Dr, Northcliff, 2195
Bustling, busy and wonderful selections, recommended for breakfasts, eat at tables set up on the pavement.

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/3e33bbde04d5ced9d9186cbd0/images/9463d2e6-1a80-4b41-8ec6-1a2eb92445d0.jpg]

HAVE YOU GOT WHAT WE WANT?  ADVERTISE HERE:

A Big Thank You to Emmy and Milne Murray for giving me not one, but three sets of telephone extensions. I have one set working well and they are happy for me to pass on the other sets, once I have checked them out. Anybody who needs a telephone extension which will give you quicker access to your internal phone or land line, give me a call.
Chris - 084 58 29129.

* * * * * * *

Hi Chris,

We hope you and Sue are having a good New Year! I know a lot of Residents ask you for advice re. their TV’s and DSTV. If someone just needs help with installation, etc, Derek and I can highly recommend the man who helped us. He is JOHAN SMIT, 082 744 0208. He is currently looking for full-time work, too, as his job contract has run out. A very honest, capable and knowledgeable young man. Thanks.

Regards Grace

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/3e33bbde04d5ced9d9186cbd0/images/5404fbe5-2d95-4b1c-a459-6c5b9ad46cbb.jpg]

JUST LIKE THAT:

These are not attributed to anyone in particular but thank you so much Graham L, Cyril and Penny, Caroline Brickett, and My Sue.

They say every piece of chocolate you eat shortens your life by 2 minutes. I did the math and it seems that I died in 1543.

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/3e33bbde04d5ced9d9186cbd0/images/8c0222bd-3aee-4453-b694-4774e4177e1d.png]

An Afrikaner guy, an Aussie, a beautiful girl and an old woman are sitting in a train.
The train suddenly goes through a tunnel and it gets completely dark.
Suddenly there is a kissing sound and then a slap!
The train comes out of the tunnel.
The old woman, beautiful girl and the Afrikaner guy are sitting there looking perplexed.
The Aussie is bent over holding his face, which is red from an apparent slap.
The old woman is thinking: 'That Aussie must have tried to kiss that girl and got slapped.'
The Aussie is thinking: 'Damn it, that Afrikaner guy must have tried to kiss the beautiful girl. She thought it was me and slapped me instead.'
The beautiful girl is thinking: 'That Aussie must have moved to kiss me, but kissed the old lady instead and got slapped.'
The Afrikaner guy is thinking: 'If this train goes through another tunnel, I could make another kissing sound and moer that Aussie again!'

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/3e33bbde04d5ced9d9186cbd0/images/549c0ad5-eb89-4094-8a9e-f8503b54cf8c.png]

A LOVELY TAIL

A duck walks into a pub and orders a pint of beer and a ham sandwich. The barman looks at him and says, "Hang on! You're a duck." I see your eyes are working," replies the duck.
"And you can talk!" exclaims the barman.
"I see your ears are working, too," Says the duck. "Now if you don't mind, can I have my beer and my sandwich please?" "Certainly, sorry about that," says the barman as he pulls the duck's pint. "It's just we don't get many ducks in this pub.. What are you doing round this way?"
"I'm working on the building site across the road," explains the duck. "I'm a plasterer."
The flabbergasted barman cannot believe the duck and wants to learn more, but takes the hint when the duck pulls out a newspaper from his bag and proceeds to read it. So, the duck reads his paper, drinks his beer, eats his sandwich, bids the barman good day and leaves. The same thing happens for two weeks. Then one day the circus comes to town.
The ringmaster comes into the pub for a pint and the barman says to him "You're with the circus, aren't you? Well, I know this duck that could be just brilliant in your circus. He talks, drinks beer, eats sandwiches, reads the newspaper and everything!" "Sounds marvellous," says the ringmaster, handing over his business card. "Get him to give me a call."
So the next day when the duck comes into the pub the barman says, "Hey Mr. Duck, I reckon I can line you up with a top job, paying really good money."
"I'm always looking for the next job," Says the duck. "Where is it?"
"At the circus," says the barman.
"The circus?" repeats the duck. "That's right," replies the barman.
"The circus?" the duck asks again. with the big tent?" "Yeah," the barman replies. "With all the animals who live in cages, and performers who live in caravans?" says the duck. "Of course," the barman replies. "And the tent has canvas sides and a big canvas roof with a hole in the middle?" persists the duck.
"That's right!" says the barman.
The duck shakes his head in amazement, and says ……….
"What the hell would they want with a plasterer??!"

*  *  *  *  *  *

Theresa May is touring the countryside in a chauffeur-driven car.
Suddenly a cow jumps out into the road.
They hit it full on and the car comes to a stop.
Theresa in her usual charming manner, says to the chauffeur.......
 "You get out and check - you were driving."
The chauffeur gets out, checks and reports that the animal is dead.
 "You were driving; go and tell the farmer, "says Theresa.

Five hours later the chauffeur returns totally plastered, his hair ruffled and with a big grin on his face.
"My God, what happened to you?" asks Theresa.

The chauffeur replies:  "When I got there, the farmer opened his best bottle of malt whisky, the wife gave me a slap-up meal and the daughter made love to me."

"What on earth did you say?" asks Theresa.

 "I knocked on the door and when it was answered, I said to them....
"I'm Theresa May's chauffeur and I've just killed the cow."

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/3e33bbde04d5ced9d9186cbd0/images/5f28a43f-2d83-4ee0-af4b-785bed178c8f.jpg]

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/3e33bbde04d5ced9d9186cbd0/images/da79173d-7ef2-4a1a-b4b0-11067644bd4e.png]

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/3e33bbde04d5ced9d9186cbd0/images/17661ad4-1dec-4c6e-9a8e-2e19305b13df.jpg]

Many thanks as always. Keep those articles coming and e-mail to me at chrisandsue291 at gmail.com<mailto:chrisandsue291 at gmail.com>.

You know this is a team effort, not only from you, the team of contributors, but also my lovely Assistant / Sub-Editor, Sue Edwards and then there is René and Roy who bash it around to get it into Adobe Format for publishing and posting to you.

Apologies to anybody who sent a joke / article, we really had a huge amount of stuff this month.

Thanks to all of you,  Cheers for now.
Chris

	Authority to Contract
No agreement binding the company will come into effect unless reduced to writing and signed by a duly authorised director of the company.

Confidentiality Notice
This is a legally privileged and confidential communication intended only for the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient or you have received this communication in error, you are hereby strictly prohibited from using, disseminating, distributing or copying this e-mail or any of the attachments or parts thereof, and you are kindly requested to notify us and delete the erroneous communication. Neither Amdec, its directors, officers, employees, agents, independent contractors, representatives, subsidiaries, affiliates, associated-, controlling- and/or holding companies and insurers, past and present, shall be liable for any direct, indirect, special, consequential or other damage or loss of any kind whatsoever and howsoever suffered or incurred, arising from this email and/or from the accessing of any attachments, including but not necessarily limited to loss or damage/s caused by any type of malicious software.